My New Blog


September 15th, 2016 11:10 PM by Christel Silver

What is a HUD REO Home and how can I buy one?

A HUD home is a one-to-four unit single - family residence acquired as a result of a foreclosure on an FHA-insured mortgage. 

An FHA loan is a mortgage insured by the Federal Housing Administration, a government agency within the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development. (HUD)  Borrowers with FHA loans pay for mortgage insurance, which protects the lender from a loss, if the borrower defaults on the loan.  If the borrower foreclosures on the mortgage, the house goes back to HUD.


HUD has hired a management company to make sure the houses are in safe condition, an asset management contractor overseeing the listing and selling process (Sage Acquisition) and also selected Brokers, who are able to list and sell these homes.

These Brokers are specially trained and under strict supervision of HUD.


So, who can buy a HUD home? There are three groups of buyers:

  • Owner-Occupants
  • Investors
  • Gov. Agencies & HUD approved Non-Profit Organizations


In addition HUD offers special programs like the GNND: “Good Neighbor Next Door”

This program is for properties located in a designated revitalization area and offers discounts to Firefighters, EMT’s, Police, and Teachers.  If qualified, they receive a 50% off the list price with only $100 down payment.  There are some has some requirements: the buyer or spouse may not have owned title to a property in the last 12 months, nor can either of them have ever purchased a property with this program before.  They have to occupy the property for 36 months!  (To oversee the 36 month requirement HUD is securing a second trust interest free, which will be released after the 36 months period).


If a property qualifies for either the GNND or for a Government Agencies, the properties are offered to these groups prior of becoming available on the open market for 6 days.


Where can you find more information about these programs:

Where can you find the homes?


Do you need an agent to buy a HUD home? YES! The Brokers need to be registered with HUD for him/her or his/her agents to help buyers purchase a HUD home.  The process is a bidding process via online electronic bidding, and the highest bidder

will be awarded. 

As HUD is promoting Home Ownership home owners receive priority for a given amount of time before investors can bid!

Many questions will remain: Can I have an inspection ? Can I select the closing agency? Do I have to be pre qualified ?  The answers are YES! If you have further questions, please contact me at 561-929-5799.

Posted in:Real Estate and tagged: HUD REO
Posted by Christel Silver on September 15th, 2016 11:10 PM